Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Storms of Life

Wow!  What an amazing thunderstorm last night.  Kaboom! all night long.  I'm exhausted today from waking up over and over to the loud cracks of thunder.  My first thought every time I woke up was for the safety of my husband and children.  "What was that?  Is everyone okay????"  Only one of our children woke up through the storm and came downstairs for a bit of reassurance.  He was shaking from the sudden fear of this loud, ominous noise.  A big hug, a quick prayer and a few calming words and all was right again.  Isn't that how our lives often go.  We find ourselves in the thunderstorms of life and want some reassurance.  We turn to God, sometimes in panic, desperately wanting answers and for Him to make it all better.  Over the years, I've actually begun to thank Him (sometimes!) for comforting my heart but not taking away the thunder.  How many times those storms bring us closer to Him and help us be more compassionate to others around us.  We often have to walk through the storms to really understand that God is active and vibrant in our lives - not sitting on the sidelines watching with disinterest.  I don't like the storms, sometimes they are frightening, but I'm so grateful for a God that comforts us and walks with us through the calm days and the storms.

No comments:

Post a Comment